Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A few big days for Bretton...

Friday was a wild day all around for our family. It was the anniversary of Parke's death, and Bretton was scheduled for an MRI at Arkansas Children's Hospital. On top of all the emotions of it being a year since I held precious Parke in my arms, having to experience one of my children being sedated for the first time was not fun. Since we were at the same hospital where Parke stayed in CVICU for a few days, we dropped off some treats for the families staying in that area. It was strange walking back through those doors and remembering our days there searching for answers and ways to hold on to Parke's little life. One year has flown by...my goodness.

Back to sweet Bretton. We were referred to ACH for an MRI of Bretton's brain. They are checking to see how his brain is functioning and to make sure everything appears normal. He has some issues with muscle tone and his reactions on one side of his body are off a bit. We are hoping that everything comes back clear, but we will be thankful to catch something if it's there so that we can start working on whatever we need to. We don't get the results until March 13th at our follow up appointment with the neurologist. That's a long time to wait!
Anyway, Bretton looked precious in his hospital gown. He was as sweet as pie the whole time we were there, and he handled not eating for several hours prior much better than I expected!

They let us stay with him while they put him under, and then we had to go wander around and wait about an hour and a half while they did the scans and he woke up. We went up to the cafeteria (which also brought back a flood of memories from while we were there with Parke), and I stress-ate a huge piece of cake for lunch.
 We were able to leave the hospital about 2:00 that afternoon. Bretton was so happy after he finally woke up from the anesthesia and was able to eat.

On Saturday, we had Bretton's baby dedication scheduled. The kids got all dressed and ready to go up on stage for his big night. Landry asked if she got a microphone. :) Ha!

We love our pastor and his precious wife. They have been through a lot with us, and Pastor Wes has performed all 4 of our baby dedications, as well as Parke's funeral service. He read Colossians 1:9-12 that Micah picked as our passage to pray over Bretton..."For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light."

Then, on Sunday with all the ice and nasty weather we were getting, we were able to make time to finish Bretton's nursery...finally! My friend, Kay, made the bedding, curtains, and pillow. I basically stole the rug from Homegoods because it was such a great price! I love the way it all came together.

So, that was three pretty big days in a row for our little man! He is such a joy and just goes with the flow on whatever we're doing. I love him oh so much! :)


  1. Lindsey, I can relate to this post SO much. We rushes back to ACH in January exactly a year after Evan wa airlifted down there. He had to be sedated as well and we walked through the CVICU, it brought back a lot of emotions. We are in the cafeteria as well and it is amazing the kind of emotions that brought back.....praying that Bretton's scans come back normal.

    1. Katrin, I know you understand! Crazy how fast a year goes by! So glad Evan is doing well. :)