Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Make THIS Monday!

I'm back! You're going to think I'm crazy with this recipe, but just try it!
These are "Cookie Dough Bites." They are grain free, dairy free, egg free, sweetened with honey, and made with CHICKPEAS. The do bake, but they are still really gooey and do not hold up like a normal cookie...that's why they are still called cookie dough! They are super healthy for you, but they still feel indulgent and kick any sweet craving you're having with the little bit of chocolate that's in them. Landry and Collier could have eaten the whole pan. When Micah tried them, he obviously knew they weren't normal cookies, but he was shocked when I told him that chickpeas were the main ingredient. They are surprisingly yummy!


 
Cookie Dough Bites
1 1/4 cups canned chickpeas, well rinsed and patted dry with paper towel
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter or almond butter (unsweetened)
1/4 cup honey (some reviews said agave worked too)
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt (unless your PB is salted)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
 
Mix all ingredients except for chocolate in a food processor together. This mixture is THICK and sticky. I used my Vitamix, and I still had to take the lid off and stir a few times to get it to mix smoothly. Next time, I am definitely going to try the food processor like the recipe suggested. Pour in the chocolate chips and stir or pulse to mix through.
With wet hands, form 1 1/2 inch round balls and place on silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. (If you want them to look more like regular cookies, you could press them down at this point.)
Bake for 10 minutes at 350. Dough will still be gooey and look raw after cooking, but you will be able to handle without having to wet your hands at this point. Ha!
 
 
I know these sound totally off the wall, but honestly, they're worth a try. They were fun for the kids to help me make, and I didn't feel guilty letting them eat them! Here are a few things to keep in mind and changes that I made...
-The "cookies" are not very good leftover. They are meant to be eaten warm. If you don't eat all of them, store them in an airtight container and microwave for a few seconds before you eat them.
 
-Like I said, I had trouble getting my mixture to mix smoothly. Don't stress about that. I seriously had a few completely whole chickpeas in a few of my final cookies, and the kids didn't even notice. Especially since I used crunchy peanut butter...
 
-Speaking of peanut butter...use this if you can find it!
It is the best, and is made with coconut oil! It is already sweetened lightly with agave, so I cut down the honey in the recipe when I made it.
 
I'm anxious to know what you think if you try it!
Happy Monday...I'm hoping for some time tomorrow to do a few updates on the kids. Life has just been crazy! :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment