Friday, February 24, 2012

Yummy yummy in my tummy!

In our family, we are huge fans of breakfast for dinner. Breakfast is absolutely one of my favorite meals of the day, but I rarely have time to make a big meal in the mornings except for on the weekends. When we were in Dallas several years ago, my cousin introduced us to the best breakfast in the entire world...Migas. Imagine the best "loaded" scrambled eggs ever....now add cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, and salsa. YUM!! We came home from that trip, and I have tried to re-create that dish several times, but it never turned out just right. I would scramble yummy eggs and then add crumbled tortilla chips and cheese at the end. It was good, don't get me wrong, BUT it was no Dallas Migas!
Well, at Christmas, my soon-to-be-sister-in-law, Emily, got me the Pioneer Woman cookbook (signed just for me!). I have never read her blog much, but every recipe of hers I have tried has been fantastic. The night I received the cookbook, I read the entire thing cover to cover. You wouldn't believe what recipe was in there...MIGAS!! I quickly discovered I was making them the wrong way, and was so anxious to try this recipe. I don't know why I hadn't ever searched the internet for a recipe...I guess I just like to make things up! :) Thankful I have the right recipe now, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Two disclaimers before the recipe:
1. I am going to provide the REAL recipe, and then I will give you the changes we made.
2. I am NOT linking up to pioneer woman's website because her pictures were much prettier than mine. :)

4 whole Corn Tortillas
Canola Oil for frying
1 whole Jalapeno, Seeds And Membranes Removed, Finely Diced
4 whole Plum Tomatoes, Roughly Chopped
1 whole Green Pepper, Roughly Chopped
1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Roughly Chopped
1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped
12 whole Large Eggs
1/4 liter Cotija Cheese, Grated (may Use Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Etc.)
1/3 cup Cilantro, Chopped
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/4 cup Half-and-half

Preparation Instructions

In a bowl, whisk together eggs and half & half. Salt and pepper eggs, then set aside.
In a small skillet over medium heat, heat oil and fry each corn tortilla just until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Chop tortillas and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the olive oil with the butter. Add onions and bell peppers and cook until starting to turn brown/black, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in diced jalapenos and stir to combine. Add tomatoes to the skillet and stir around, then add tortilla pieces, stirring gently to combine.
Reduce heat to low.
When the heat has decreased, pour egg mixture into skillet. Stir gently to cook with the peppers, folding mixture very gently as it cooks. Add in grated cheese and chopped cilantro, and stir to combine.

Here are our pictures and the changes we made...
I chop all my veggies and cook longer than the recipe calls for. I like for the veggies to be really tender. The original Migas we had were made with onions and zucchini, so I make them that way sometimes. Micah likes his with a little meat, so you could add chorizo, sausage, or ham to one serving or all...

Instead of corn tortillas, I use flour. I like the texture of them better, and my goodness this makes a HUGE difference compared to crumbled tortilla chips. I crisp them in the oil and then sprinkle a little salt on top.

Dice them up and put them to the side. I always make an extra tortilla because Landry LOVES them, and I like to have some to put on the top of the eggs.


I like to wait and add the tortillas after I add the eggs. They seem to hold up better that way.

I totally cook the eggs and don't mix the cheese in. I have found that I can use half the amount of cheese if I just put it on top!

YUM! :)

Landry is a fan!
A few other changes:
I never use cilantro.
I only use red bell pepper instead of a mixture of red/green.
I normally use whole milk instead of half-and-half.
I have used cheddar or monterey jack cheese...they are both great.
The whole recipe is supposed to feed 6, but I doesn't at our house. :)
To feed the three of us, I normally use 8-9 eggs, 2-3 tortillas, and the whole amount of veggies. 

Make this soon...you will thank me!!


No comments:

Post a Comment