Monday, January 20, 2014

Make THIS Monday!

For my first "Make THIS Monday" post, I'm sharing two recipes. I've already shared one of them on Facebook, so I figured those friends needed to see something new. :)
These are two of our favorites, so I hope you enjoy!
 
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa
4 ish cups cooked quinoa
1 can or box organic cream of chicken soup
3/4 c Greek yogurt
1 can sliced mushrooms (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
Steamed broccoli (2-3 heads or 2 steam bags)
Salt and pepper
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Mix all together and pour in a greased 9x13. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Top with seasoned salt and a little more cheese...bake 10-15 min longer.

**I really never make this the same way twice. The tomatoes and mushrooms are totally optional. You could add Rotel, a mixture of any cooked veggies, and really make it your own.**
 
 
 
The second recipe I am sharing could be breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner. It is so versatile, and super duper healthy! It's our favorite green smoothie recipe, and we make it all.the.time.
Here is what you need to make 2 large or 4 small smoothies:
Big handfuls or spinach or other greens
PLAIN yogurt
1-2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional, but my favorite thing ever)
4 cups total mixed frozen fruit
1 cup cold water
Your favorite sweetener (optional) *You won't need it if you use sweeter fruit* I like agave or liquid stevia. :)

I always use frozen strawberries, and then we switch up the other fruit. We use banana, pineapple, mango, other berries, peaches...tons of options.
Make sure when you buy frozen fruit that the only ingredient listed on the back is the fruit. Sugar is added to so many things these days, and that is definitely not what you want in this healthy recipe.

If you don't know about chia seeds, google them. They are amazing and PACKED with nutrients. I sneak them in our diet everyday by sprinkling them on a salad, mixing in yogurt, hiding in peanut butter, mixing in juice, etc.  

PLAIN yogurt. Make sure it is plain and not sweetened...you don't need the extra sugar in this recipe.

This is my new favorite spinach mix....it has so many different varieties of greens, but you won't taste a single one in this drink!

Layer the ingredients in the blender starting with yogurt, fruit, chia seeds, water, and then pack that baby full of spinach!

Then blend it for several minutes to get a smooth consistency. I hate nothing more than getting a big chunk of spinach stuck in my straw. Yuck.



Yummy, yummy, yummy! The kids love them, and they have no idea they are healthy. :)

 
And, the worst part of making smoothies is always cleaning the stinkin' blender. I've found a quick way of cleaning, and I've figured out if I do it right away it makes it so much easier.
Rinse the blender right after you pour your smoothies. Then, fill the blender 1/2 full of warm water and a few drops of liquid dish soap.
 
 Turn the blender on high and let it run for a few minutes until it's really frothy. Rinse the blender well, and you're ready to go the next time you're in the mood for another delicious smoothie. :)
 
 
I hope you like these! Let me know what you think if you try them!
Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment