Monday, January 27, 2014

Make THIS Monday!

In our house, we have been doing a lot of this...
 
and this lately.
 
So, my sweet husband was in desperate need of some red meat this week. We rarely have beef at our house because we tend to prefer chicken and fish, but this was absolutely amazing. We made a braised brisket, and I used it for 3 meals! It was so unbelievably easy, and Micah said it was the best brisket he has ever had. That is a BIG deal because both of our mamas make a mean brisket.
I really wasn't planning on sharing this recipe with you because I didn't expect it to be so good, so I don't have all that many pictures!
The detailed recipe for the brisket (plus pictures) can be found here. It's a Pioneer Woman recipe, and those rarely disappoint. I made a few changes, so here is my version of the recipe...
 
The Best Braised Brisket
Brisket (obviously) Any size...I used a 4ish pound piece and still had tons!
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon "Better Than Bouillon" Beef Base *Sold at Wal-Mart by the beef stock...or use beef bouillon, or beef stock or whatever PW's recipe calls for*
1 cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
4 garlic cloves smashed
1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
 
Mix all ingredients in a large baking dish (or disposable aluminum pan if you like easy cleanup!). Place the brisket fat side down in the liquid for a few minutes and then flip over where the fat side is up. Cover with foil and refrigerate for 18-24 hours. Pull the brisket out of the refrigerator and flip the brisket around a few more times to fully coat with marinade. Bake IN the marinade, covered, with the fat side up for approximately an hour per pound at 300 degrees. After that amount of time, mine still wasn't falling apart like I wanted it to, so I cooked it an extra hour or two. You don't really have to worry about it drying out with all the yummy liquid. When the brisket is done, remove the layer of fat (yuck, I know) and shred the remaining meat with two forks.
 
Eat this delicious meat with mashed cauliflower or potatoes. Or, try one of our two favorite uses of it from this week...

Braised Brisket Nachos
Chips (I love to use kinds without corn...Sweet Potato chips, Black Bean chips, etc.)
Brisket
Cheese
Salsa
Black Olives
Sautéed Bell Peppers and Onions *amazing*
Plain Greek Yogurt (we use this in everything in place of sour cream...you won't notice the difference, and it's such a healthy swap!)


Brisket Breakfast
Leftover Brisket, chopped
Eggs (we use 9 for our whole crew)
Milk
Salt and Pepper
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Tomatoes or Salsa
 
Reheat chopped brisket in skillet and then remove. Mix eggs, milk, salt, and lots of black pepper. Scramble the eggs in the same skillet where meat was reheated (add extra oil or a little butter if needed). Scramble to your preferred consistency, stirring constantly. Layer eggs, brisket, cheese, and salsa or tomatoes on a plate. Enjoy!
I know this seems weird, but we all LOVED it.
Try it, you won't be disappointed!
 
I had so many of you email or message me last week asking questions about quinoa and the smoothie recipe I shared. I'm so glad you guys tried them and enjoyed them! If y'all have questions, feel free to ask in the comments section here too. I'll be sure to check them and respond, and then others that have the same questions can see the answer!

Happy Monday! Feed your family some yummy brisket this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment